So I started safe with a light green wash, figuring to build on it, but not exactly sure how. I knew I wanted the background darkest around the white petals and also in the lower left corner. There were some nice shapes in the original photograph, so I decided to include some.
Below, I left out most of the steps that I went through to get to the finished product, mostly because things were not working out as I envisioned them.
I even played with the idea of scrapping the painting altogether and starting over. But a couple of people said that they really liked the background, so that made me think perhaps the flower itself needed work.
The white petals and the center pleased me, so I worked on the blue petals and feel like there is an improvement in the overall piece.