Saturday, October 13, 2012

Old Timer

Great old Aspen along the trail to Twin Peaks




Using the top photo as my reference, I sketched my composition,
then used masking fluid to save some white trunks in the mid ground and
some light on the cliffs in the distance.  After wetting the old Aspen tree,
I dropped in my darks, using indigo with a few other colors for variation




Working from top to bottom, wet in wet,  the sky is mostly a light wash of cobalt,
Permanent rose and ultramarine were used for the distant cliffs,  then I just had
fun with the fall foliage colors behind the old aspen.



Next, I used a small natural sponge dipped in various darker colors to add
a little detail to my foliage.  Light washes of the fall colors were used on the
old tree as the white bark of the aspen will reflect the colors around it


After removing the masking, I added detail to the other trunks, and then darkened
the gnarly places on the old timer.



Old Timer (along the Twin Peaks trail)

3 comments:

Box Canyon Blog.com said...

Gorgeous

Barney, The Old Fat Man said...

Another well done painting. Thank you.

Mindy said...

I liked what you did with the foliage!