Sunday, September 30, 2012

Red Mountain Autumn



Red Mountain Autumn





Here is my sketch,  I have used masking fluid on the trees.
Cerulean blue colors the sky and some of the spaces amongst the leaves




I used a wet in wet technique to color the top leaves and mountain peaks,
aureolin, cad orange, Q. gold, and Q violet were the pigments I chose




Continuing with wet in wet using sap green, june bug and ultramarine blue,
I created the evergreen forest on the mountains.
The mid-ground aspen forest at the lower portion of the painting is a mixture of greens
yellows, reds and orange, dropping in color and allowing them to mingle on the damp paper




The evergreen trees that are closer is a mixture of the same colors that are in
the farther trees, but using more pigment to get the darker hues
The leaves on the foreground trees were created by wetting the paper carefully
going around the spaces within the shapes, then dropping in the colors
At times I felt like I was painting a jigsaw puzzle





The masking has been removed and details have been added.
I have attempted to give the aspen leaves the appearance of groups of leaves by
painting "holes" of whatever is behind them, instead of trying to paint
individuals leaves 




Aspen trunks, being mostly white, reflect colors near them, so do not
be afraid to use color.  To get the rounded appearance
you must decide where your light is coming from and shade the trunks
accordingly

4 comments:

Box Canyon Blog.com said...

The aspen trees are so realistic it feel like I could reach out and touch them!!!
Very nice...

Anonymous said...

Very nice - the colors are beautiful! Mindy

Sandy Mc said...

Beautiful! The aspens are very realistic. They are a favorite tree for me. The whole scene is so full of color. I wish I was there. Good job!

Barney, The Old Fat Man said...

Showing the steps you take is a real help for me. Thank you.